Sunday 10 November 2013

Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy


Senator, You’re no Jack Kennedy

Quayle:  I have far more experience than many others that sought the office of vice president of this country. I have as much experience in the Congress as Jack Kennedy did when he sought the presidency. I will be prepared to deal with the people in the Bush administration, if that unfortunate event would ever occur.

Judy Woodruff: Senator [Bentsen]?

Bentsen: Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you’re no Jack Kennedy. (Prolonged shouts and applause.) What has to be done in a situation like that is to call in the —

Woodruff: (Admonishing applauders) Please, please, once again you are only taking time away from your own candidate.

Quayle: That was really uncalled for, Senator. (Shouts and applause.)

Bentsen: You are the one that was making the comparison, Senator — and I’m one who knew him well. And frankly I think you are so far apart in the objectives you choose for your country that I did not think the comparison was well-taken.

This has since become a political lexicon of a way to deflate politicians or other individuals perceived as thinking too highly of themselves. - Wikipedia

Like TehTarikGelasBesar once wrote in his book Pengejar Bintang, when you running for the stars, do not forget that your feet is still firmly on earth.

I noticed in Malaysia political scene, no one in the pro-government or the opposition ever compares himself to previous Prime Ministers.

I think in life, if you’re good and think that you’re good, any comparison to other’s greatness is in-necessary.

Notice that kids do this “reference” stuff, ..my father is good, my grandfather once own this and that, my family has links with kings……but as time grows by, if the fella still references himself to others, then people will question, “how about you then?’

Sometimes, I see Malaysian people, especially the Malays, who likes to brag off about their family ancestry nobility . There’s no respect. You feel cheap listening to their claims.