Saturday 16 May 2015

the best advice this week


From December 2014 up until now 16 May 2015, it's been 5 months I've been a Project Manager for a construction project.

As I lay down in my bed this afternoon, down with flu, I reflected on my experience and realised two main lessons to be learnt.






http://www.tomborgconsulting.com/stop-playing-fireman-small-business-3-reasons-small-business-owners-hard-time-focusing/

There's a senior Supervisor still in the Project working with me, yet I found that most of the time, the Korean Main Contractors, Consultants and Clients still looks for me and I'm tired of running towards "emergency crisis".

Most of the time, the calls are urgent but, I realised, it's not really important.

 Some other guy could do it.

This morning for instance, the Korean Main Con called me up for a meeting.

I was having a fever/flu, and I'm on Medical Leave.

Feeling responsible, I drove this morning to meet them up.

They didn't thank me, they punished me for being late.

All the 30 mins talk I had with them, is just about brick-wall setting out and work coordination proposal by them.

Actually I could just have waited for them to submit first their proposal to Client, without my input what-so-ever, then if their proposal is approved, then I will coordinate my work as per approved coordination which is approved by Client.

 (If the Client already approved it, then we have no choice but to obey, if cost incur we could apply for Variation Order VO, but usually Client already consider the "money-side" of the proposal before approving it.)

So, the journey and the responsibility caused by this sentiment of "being a fireman to solve problem for Project" is sometimes, not only worthless, it's also in-efficient.



Lesson 2 : STOP BEING A TUITION TEACHER 
I've had 1 Engineer, 1 Drafter and 1 Supervisor who just served on short period then just resign within 1 week notice.

The 3 guys who resigned, when I reflected back on all the times taken to explain them things, I realised, it's not really worth it.

Malaysian Malay people, most of the time felt racist towards Malaysian Chinese employers, but now I realised it is that,

Most Malay people do not have business intuition when carrying out their job. 

But if you teach them skills, most of the time they will just go away to the same position in another company which offered a higher pay.

They do things, but not in the efficient way.

If you show them the way, not only they will not say thanks to you, they will just run to a different company.

And so, what most Chinese employers do, is let people learn by mistakes and improving on your way through, as if you treat your job like a business.

But most Malays do not get this, and wanted to be spoonfed.

 I’m not Chinese by the way. Just my honest opinion/view.




 Skirill aka Kirill (Russia) - 1: Thinking, 2011  2: Boxer aka Meatgrinder aka Do Not Disturb, 2014  3: Flower, 2011  4: Hub, 2011  


Somewhere there's a reason
Why things go like they do
Somewhere there's a reason
Why somethings just fall through
We don't always see them
For what they really are
But I know there's a reason,
Just can't see it from this far

Maybe I don't like it, but I have no choice
I know that somewhere, someone hears my voice

I thought I knew it all
I thought I had it made
How could it end this way?
I thought I knew

Somewhere there's a reason
Why things don't go my way
Somewhere there's a reason
That I cannot explain
Just like the change of season,
Just may not be my turn
But I know there's a reason,
The lesson's mine to learn
Note : In Megadeth's album "Youthanasia, this was the only song composed by all the band members, i.e. Mustaine, Ellefson, Friedman and Menza.