from Wikipedia :-
The Kamov Ka-50 "Black Shark" (Russian: Chornaya Akula, NATO reporting name: Hokum A)
is a single-seat Russian attack helicopter with the distinctive coaxial rotor system of the Kamov design bureau.
It was designed in the 1980s and adopted for service in the Russian army in 1995. It is currently
manufactured by the Progress company in Arsenyev. It is being used as a heavily armed scout helicopter.
Extensive all-round armour installed in the cockpit protects the pilot against 12.7 mm armour-piercing bullets and 23 mm projectile fragments. The rotor blades are rated to withstand several hits of ground-based automatic weapons.
A high degree of the Kamov Ka-50 survivability is ensured by:
1. the pilot’s cockpit fitted with steel plates that can withstand lateral hit of 20 mm projectiles in addition to armored glass
2. 55 mm thick protection of fuel tanks, controls, drive system, auxiliary power unit (APU). hydraulic and other systems
3. the rotor blades made from super-strong plastic allowing to continue flight despite several direct hits
4.the coaxial main rotor configuration without tail rotor and its control systems and gear box radically increasing the helicopter survivability because when they are hit, a crash is inevitable
5. composite materials, amount to 35 per cent of the helicopter's load-carrying structure.
6.landing gear and fuselage absorb ground impact overloads.
7. If one engine is destroyed, the Ka-50 can fly with only one.
It is the world's first operational helicopter with a rescue ejection system, which allows the pilot to escapeat all altitudes and speeds. The K-37-800 rocket-assisted ejection system is manufactured by the Zvezda Research and Production Enterprise Joint Stock Company in the Moscow region.